Firmware Engineer (Job Code RS)
REPORTS TO: Sr. Dir Software Engineering
LOCATION: Waterloo, Canada
GigPeak is currently seeking a permanent, full-time employee for the Video Codec Firmware Engineer position available in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. Key applications include Gigpeak’s industry-leading Professional multi-format video encoder, decoder and transcoder platforms. You will be involved in the implementation of designs for leading professional video equipment manufacturers. You will also be responsible for coordinating certain project activities within the group, and will have ownership of specific firmware design areas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Design, development and support of current and new firmware projects for customer platforms as well as reference systems.
- Design, modify, develop, write and implement video codec firmware for broadcast video applications.
- Develop real-time multithreaded embedded systems and develop core firmware and services for high-performance multimedia hardware.
- Design, development and/or support of pre-silicon modeling and architecture as well as encode/transcode/display quality tuning
- Supports VLSI and Systems teams on a variety of topics including architecture, modeling, and various levels of debugging/verification
- Expertise in DSP implementation and optimization
- Expertise in real-time embedded firmware and software design
- Experience with device drivers, consumer electronics, broadcast video
- Extensive C programming experience required
- Knowledge of real-time operating systems (VxWorks, embedded Linux/Unix)
- Strong analysis, design and debug skills
- Independent work ethic to bring tasks to completion
- Familiarity with x86 MMX and AVX instructions
- Experience on X86 based code optimization
- Experience designing low latency applications targeted for virtual machine’s an asset
- Experience in concurrent programming
- OOA/OOD is a plus
- Working knowledge of various video broadcast standards (example: ATSC, DVB , NTSC, PAL)
- Working knowledge in one or more video compression standards: H.264, MPEG-2, HEVC
- MS and 2 years of experience in Electrical or Computer Engineering or BS and 5+ years codec developer experience
GigPeak is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.
Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include the title of the position you are applying for, as well as the Job Code (if listed).